Friday, April 16, 2010

Breaking the Silence

Today, is a day of clarity and self awareness for me, and this realization has driven me to want to make a difference in other's awareness of postpartum depression... and what a girl never tells. For so long, our society has put such a stigma on mental disorders, and with Postpartum Depression being so common for many women...why the silence anymore?? It's time others have more compassion and understanding of various disorders like this...and I am on a mission to make this happen.

I would not feel so strongly about this, if I hadn't just been to hell and back myself. The experience I just lived, no one should have to live through on their own. Now in my present state of mind of clarity, see myself in a whole different light, and am ready to confront and put behind me, this battle with my own emotions that I have been facing for so many months now...and in the end...if it helps and gets through to even just one person ...I will feel gratified.

I want to be heard and understood...but realize that may never happen with many...but for the few of you out there that do have the emotional intelligence to comprehend this, I choose to continue. I have gained much strength and insight from my experience, but have suffered deeply along the way. I have, without my understanding, felt this strong sense of spiritual guidance, that has given me that hand needed to pull me out of the deep hole I had been thrown into with the hardships of postpartum depression.

I decided to let go of my faith in other people so much to help fix my problems, and opened my heart and soul up to the unknown sense of spirituality that had, as though it seemed, to all of a sudden enter my life amidst the turmoil. It was then, that I knew in my heart and soul...as I have never felt so awakened in my whole life...that we are not alone inside in this journey of life and all we have to do to gain this spirituality and inner strength, is truly open up our hearts and mind, and have faith in the power and love of God.

Today is the day that I've decided, to start sharing with other's my experiences with postpartum depression and break the silence I have been living with these past months. I am driven to help spread the word about how I feel having faith in God can help with all healing processes, in those that believe and decide to truly open up their hearts to God's power and love.

3 comments:

  1. You are an inspiration to those who suffer from depression and have been unable to talk about this. Your strength and belief in God speak volumes of the woman you have become despite your challenges. The stigma of depression needs to be broken bringing many out of the darkness and into the light that is hope. You are truly an amazing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for this. It is so uplifting. The clarity is a big relief and I think will help so many others who are suffering when things are so murky and dark. i hope you will write more about the murky moments so people will know that you have been where they are...your writing is beautiful and touching...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your previous comments! I have had alot of positive feedback after writing this, which has helped with the ambivalence I was feeling over sharing this.

    I had written this to reach certain people in my life and help anyone else that suffers and must battle obstacles, as I have been facing some difficult times and needed some support. I want to finally be able to enter whole heartedly into this new beginning in my life, leaving behind me the clouds of darkness...and walking towads the light. As my daughter recently sang with her first grade class..."I can see clearly now the rain is gone...it's going to be a bright, bright, bright...sunshiney day". My world had been clouded for so long now, but ever since this new clarity and sense of purpose has entered my life, I have become stronger and am starting to see the blue skies around me more. I know there will still be cloudy days...but knowing that the sunshine is directly under them and will come out again soon...drives me to continue on this path I feel I have been directed towards. We are all called to move in certain directions at different points in our lives, but it is up to each one of us to decide we want to be lead to the path that will ultimately bring us the sense of purpose and happiness we strive for nearly every day. There will be various obstacles for all of us along the journey, but we must listen to our hearts and soul, to not be misguided and reach this fulfillment in the end. I feel that every end is a new beginning...so follow your hearts!! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete