Monday, April 19, 2010

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

I am finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with the post partum depression....my ultimate goal though....to be out of this tunnel altogether. This has been a long, painful journey...but "whatever doesn't break you, makes you stronger", right? It has been like being on an emotional rollercoaster. After having more education on PPD by reading other women's blogs, as well as having some supportive, courageous women come forth with sharing their own unique post partum experiences, I realized I wasn't so alone with what I have been dealing with emotionally. It would help other women going through this, as I feel it has helped me, to have this courageous and non-judgemental support continue to examplify towards releasement of the stigma and isolation that is felt with post partum depression.

I would like to address how much of a role good support can play into effective treatment of PPD. Luckily, I have had some good support from my husband, my family, and my husband's family....as well as certain good friends too that were very caring, insightful, and loving at a time of great need for it. I very much appreciate all the support I have received along the way. I did also face others who were not very supportive, judgemental, insensitive, or lacked in understanding. I began to realize that it would ultimately come down to finding the strength in myself...very hard to do in this vulnerable time...and I feel God played a big role in bringing me to this particular level. I will continue working on this spirituality, as it has made such a big impact on my recovery.

There are many key factors necessary in good treatment for PPD...medications, therapy, etc...but everyone's particular PPD case is a different scenario...so what works for one person, may not work for another. I think recovery involves a total package...therapy, medications if needed and exercise for me was key in trying to achieve balance...as well as sleep, diet, etc. Harder said than done, especially for moms of infants...but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. So if anyone is struggling with post partum depression...you definetely don't see the light for what seems like eternity...but have faith because with the right balance of the key factors I previously mentioned, you will find it eventually and will slowly find yourself again.

For me exercise is huge because it releases endorphins....those feel good brain chemicals...which can help with your ability to combat daily stresses, as well as give you the well needed energy that you're lacking. This has proven to work well for me, as exhibited by the way I feel immediately after a work out....huge fluctuation in endorphins!! I will always continue to exercise for as long as I can, as it has been a huge aspect in the PPD treatment for me. I will not give up the fight...even though some days are still really tough...I am "keeping my eye on the prize"....to get the hell out of this tunnel for good and put this bad experience behind me once and for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment